Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Life can be found in Death...

Typically when we think of death, we think of a morbid situation. Losing someone we love, or a tragic lost of life. The ending of something, the burial of someone, the weeping and sorrow associated with such events come to mind.

While browsing in Hobby Lobby, a lady summoned my opinion on a bouquet she was putting together for a burial site. It got me to thinking about how my own family frequents the site of our lost loved ones. We demonstrate our respect for their passing by adding flowers to their tombstones and discussing beautiful memories. Strangely enough, we somehow find joy in what was once a sad occasion.


I played basketball (quite well I might add) from 6th grade all the way through my first year of college. Some of those years were more intense than others. During high school, of course, I hit my peak for the love of the sport and vowed to pursue a future in over seas League Ball post-college. More immediately, I sought after schools who were willing to offer me money to play during my college years. Seeing that my most desired school (Baylor) had NOTHING to offer me, yet wanted my high school rival on full-scholarship, my dream began to dwindle. And though I was a proud member of the championship Intramural women's team my freshman year in college, I soon had to face the death of my dream.

I mourned for about a month, but not a minute longer, because from that death, was birthed what would become a mighty ministry on the Baylor Campus. Not long after giving up the dream to play ball, the Lord ushered into my life two women who would set the foundation for and be the catalyst behind my facilitation of women small groups on campus that would later launch a movement of men and women who desired to learn how to practically walk with the Lord.


I'm reminded of the phrase "...If a grain of wheat falls to the earth and dies, it produces many others and yields a rich harvest." It seems that the most productive life can be found in death.


What has died in your life? What have you wept over? What have you lost and/or given up? Remain encouraged as you look for the life that God desires to create out of your situation. Know this (as well), dying to ourselves (our own desires) produces life in us as well. It allows Christ to live IN us. So don't mourn too long over the things that are dying, the closed doors, your sacrifices; for life is right around the corner! So rejoice in what's to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment