Sunday, July 27, 2014

Take a Hike

Had quite the unexpected adventure in Austin, TX this past week. When/If you decide to take a short (cheap) vacay, I would suggest a few places:

1. Barton Springs Park 
They have amazing hiking trails (Sculpture Falls, Twin Falls)
They have a pretty cool (and by pretty cool I mean freezing cold) natural springs pool called Barton Creek.

2. Mt. Bonnell
 The highest point in the city and has a spectacular view of the city

3. Hamilton Pool
A beautiful natural springs pool (not as cold as Barton Creek) with gorgeous natural falls.
Also a nice hiking trail

Needless to say, my adventure included hiking up one of its many trails. As my natural inclination would have it, I made a deliberate effort to study the trail map they provided before embarking down the trail. However, I found myself 2 miles in and unsure of exactly where I had wandered off to. Some of the trail broke off into smaller less distinct trails, while at other spots it turned into a fork in the road leaving me curious as to which direction I was supposed journey.

My goal was to reach one of the swimming holes that promised to have breath-taking views, but I never seemed to make it there. Along the way, I found myself short of breath, slowly getting discouraged and desiring to turn around. At those times, I stumbled upon random signs that confirmed whether or not I was facing the right direction. At one point, an experienced hiker to that area even gave me direction when I was about to meander down the wrong trail.

What a lesson the Spirit showed me as I journeyed back to the parking lot. Its advantageous to study God's word as it relates to His direction for my life. However, it is imperative that I trust His guidance as life offers trails that seem inviting. At those times when I get discouraged and get ready to turn around He provides people and events to confirm the direction that will lead me to where He desires me to be.

Be comforted in knowing that the Spirit of God that dwells within you (as a Believer), has a role to guide us into truth. That role is supported by the various promises that God will guide, direct and order our steps. So when life gets a bit confusing and doors (trails) seem to close...trust God's guidance.

No comments:

Post a Comment