Sunday, March 21, 2010

Love & Affection

It's occured to me that possibly the 'love' I claimed to have was only affection.
My life began with epitome of the demonstration of love explained to me in a way that tugged my heart strings, whispering through its hollow walls the need I have for Love. I accepted, and placed the eternal ring on my finger, ready to show others the Love I had received.
As life took its toll on my heart, I learned about it's character, its where-abouts, its truths and endless possibilities. I saw its affects when given selflessly to others, and the joy it brought to lives who were changed by it. Its gift-like nature made me marvel as I continuet to wrap it up and give it out over and over again.
But then this one time I handed the gift away, was different. I saw how Love drew the heart towards the One I loved, and I saw Love capture the mind of this gift-receiver. But then this person began to give this love back and I was aloof, at first not understanding the nature of this action. I began to spend time with them, communicate with them, share myself, become transparent. And when I opened up, they came in. I began to develop emotional intimacy and a deep & passionate affection for them.
I wanted to be around them every second of my day, and to care for them in special ways. My mind was consummed with their life and well being. But then I became jealous of their time, needy for their attention, eager for their touch, longing to hear their heart and before I knew it, I was no longer in control and found myself seeking for this gift I once longed to only give.
But was it a gift anymore? Had affection disguised itself? Had it camaflouged in order to survive in my heart?
Because I remember Love...it was not attached, nor jealous when others jousted for its attention. It was pure, trusting and unable to recall any wrongdoing. The feelings, emotions, gestures I possessed did NOT fall in line with these measures. I want Love back, because I don't like who i've become. Affection has broken in and stolen all that was precious to me.
Lord, teach me to Love again...I'm through with affection and its twisted ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment