Tuesday, January 21, 2014

His Strength-the mutant gene


So this past weekend I literally watched every single X-men movie in the Trilogy (and even those Wolverine spin-off movies) from X-Men (First Class) to X-Men (The Last Stand). I must say I'm excited about the new one coming out in 2014.

I find myself quite smitten with Superhero films because its fun to see what human people do with super-human powers. It's obvious that some use their powers for evil while others feel obligated to use theirs for the 'greater good'. But that's not what my focus is in my using this comic book fantasy to make a point. What I see is something a bit deeper. Allow me to use Rogue as an example in making my point.

For those of you who DON'T know, Rogue was a character who could involuntarily absorb and sometimes remove the memories, physical strength, and superpowers of anyone she touched. Rogue, however, was more concerned about her inability to touch the people she loved and had feelings for than how her power could be used to help others. This 'weakness' clouded her vision and stifled her ability. All she could see was this weakness, so much so that she couldn't focus on the fact that the power she was given was not, in fact a curse, but was able to help others. In the final movie, she even opted for the "cure" because she viewed her weakness as a limit rather than a gift.

So many people quote Philippians 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" and do so with the premise that the very things THEY want to accomplish or anything WE can imagine (particularly without regard to HIS interest) can be done as long as Christ is on their side! In essence, the verse is used as a resource to push our own agendas. This is heresy!

Paul, however wrote the verse from a different context. He meant that in the areas of our personal lives where we struggle to understand why God allows certain issues to arise; or in the inabilities we find ourselves having as it pertains to following or being obedient to Christ--in these challenges that arise, Christ can and will empower us to do what He desires to accomplish through us.

In 2 Corinthians 12:9, Paul further exposes his weakness and even admits that He wished God would remove it. He saw his own limitations as failures, when in fact, God willed that He would see his failures as a gift! Therefore, he embraced his weaknesses because he realized that when he does, Christ's strength moves in on those weakness.

What a beautiful paradox!

Lately I've been focused on my handicaps as a Christian. Quite self-absorbed, if I was being honest, in the many ways I fail at obeying Christ. The closer I get to Him, the more He's exposed my weaknesses and the more ashamed I've become. But I've realized that His power can't fully work, unless I embrace my limitations, failures and weaknesses. I must see them as gifts that are intended to bring me to my knees so that HIS power may infuse inner strength in me.

If I, like Rogue, focus solely on my weaknesses by playing the 'woe is me' card, I insult Christ and by default deny the power I have access to. However, if I view my weaknesses and inabilities as signs to point me to my source of strength, I tap into limitless power and thus satisfy the heart of God!

The mutant gene is embraced, when we are on our knees.

No comments:

Post a Comment