Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Can A New Year bring A New Me?


Right around December 26th we begin to hear the age old cliche' "New Year, New Me!" begin to pour from the minds and mouths of our friends. Our Facebook timelines are filled with people's resolutions and expectations of the upcoming new year. Perhaps its the feeling in the air- the feeling of new beginnings that spur new opportunities and inspire chances to start over. Whatever it is, and regardless of how noble and inspirational the thought- the idea is comprised of cancerous thinking from a mindset that we can change our own lives.

You might be able to usher in a new habit of working out, eating differently or spending more time with your family. These new habits might start off strong and might even last for a sustained period of time. After all, nothing is wrong with a resolution that occurs in the form of writing down a dream or marking out a plan and holding yourself accountable to such a change. Keep in mind, however, that we can just as easily fail in a diet, falter in keeping with our routine of attending the gym and things can distract us and give us valid justifications for why we aren't as able to spend time with our family as we planned. In the same way, saying that we will curse less, be more committed to our spouses, treat people better might be great resolutions. They might look good on paper and enlisting our friends to hold us accountable might prove to last for a time.

But Romans 7 calls these efforts and attempts, whether they occur beginning in January or otherwise, futile attempts to maintain a set of rules or adhere to a law of sorts (vs 15). Friend, understand that the ability to live the Christian life does not occur by proclaiming we will be a "new me". Rules have no power and similarly, resolutions (as great and noble as making them can be) have no power. For this truth remains, nothing good dwells in our flesh (vs 18a). Think of all the good things that are on your resolution list and re-read that statement from Romans 7:18. We don't even have the ability to do those good things we've resolved to do. Yes, we have the desire to do those good things, but not the ability to carry it out (vs 18b NIV) is what scripture says.


I desire to be nicer to people who hurt me.
I desire to quit smoking.
I desire to stop being so hot tempered.
I desire to walk away from this selfish lifestyle.
I desire to be a better son/daughter/spouse/grandparent.
I desire to be more disciplined to save money.
I desire to tithe.
I desire to wake up every day and run a mile.
I desire to watch my words when i'm angry.

All great things you may or may not have desired from time to time. And yet scripture cancels our trained way of thinking that just because we desire it, we cannot will ourselves into behaving in these new ways. We don't have the ability to live the Christian life, much less be a "new me" at the turn of a new year. After all, despite popular belief of both those who scoff at the Faith and those who are drenched in religion, Christianity isn't about trying or working harder; it's an intimate personal relationship with Jesus -who is alive living His life (by His Spirit) through us. I know you might believe it's the Spirit's role to help us speak in tongues or fall out or whatever other visible evidences you've seen on television. But the book of Acts doesn't give the only account of the Spirit's abilities. It is the Spirit's role (in the Trinity) to convict us of what to do, what to say, how to handle issues because we don't know how to do what God asks us to do (John 16).

It's even a popular belief that "When we know better, we do better". Well actually, knowing better doesn't exactly mean we will do better. Yes, we do need to grow in our learning, but information isn't the key to change; although it is a catalyst for it. Paul says there's a law (knowledge) in our minds, but because we are so programmed to do wrong, trying to change ourselves without submission to God will exhaust us!

James McDonald, in his book, Lord, Change Me, states that Biblical change begins when we admit our problem is a heart problem. Can you and I own that we are broken because of sin?

Repeat after me:
I admit, I am not programmed to will myself into being a new me. I am so weak and feeble, I need help to do what's right. 

 Then, after such an admission-we must turn by realizing that only God can change our hearts.

Repeat after me:
God, grant me the desire to be different and help me to partner with you so I can be more loving towards people especially my enemies; help me walk in victory over my selfish and sinful desires; control me by your Spirit so that I don't lose my temper, say words that hurt and empower me to live for Your eternal purposes rather than my own personal self-gratifying pursuits. 

Rather than pridefully claiming, yet again, this cliche statement about the new you that will arise from 2018, I challenge you to instead commit to partner with the Lord in His desire to bring about the change He desires for you. Embrace whatever His Spirit convicts you of, each day. Yield to His gentle leading and watch as the New You that has already taken form (2 Corinthians 5:17), takes on continued newness through the changing seasons of your life- not just at the start of a new year.

No comments:

Post a Comment