Monday, September 11, 2017

What it means to be weak


Crutches are often seen as a tool that causes others to recognize the weakness of a person who has experienced an ailment. But when a tree leans on it's supports, it's actually seen as a growth tool. Well crutches are to a ligament what supports are to a tree trunk. The crutch isn't a weakness so much as it is a tool to support a feeble muscle or tree trunk during it's growing process. On it's way towards being strong, it needs support. God wants to be your strength, but you must first allow His Word and your faith to be the crutch that causes you to be "weak" (lean on Him rather than on your own understanding and ways).

I've learned, as a Believer challenged to walk out my faith, that weakness is welcomed in the eyes of our Savior. As He desires to be so much more (our Lord), He exemplifies such weakness in His own 33 years of life.



  • When He often stole away to pray or spend some time alone. Luke 5:16

  • When He was tempted by satan in the wilderness, yet leaned on the Word from His Father for strength to resist. Matthew 4:1-11

  • When He faced death in the garden and pleaded to His Father to "let this cup pass" yet was equally able to surrender to the point of admitting His willingness to allow His Father's will be done over His own. Matthew 26:39-40


These examples have become evident in my own life as I've figured out that faith is more than a belief (for even the demons believe and tremble). Perhaps my faith was only tremble-worthy for so long, because I'm encouraged when I think about the weakness I experience when given a chance to take a step in faith. It's no coincidence that Paul says that he can boast in his weakness, because it's in that time that he finds immense strength 

(2 Corinthians 12:9-10). 

How does one find strength in weakness though? How does one turn away from the pride of wanting to be self-sufficient and instead embrace the weaknesses hidden within the faith walk? Much less, how does one submit themselves to face weakness long enough to experience the strength Paul speaks of?



Well having lost a majority of my possessions in the recent Hurricane Harvey floods that occurred in Houston; things like ottoman, armoire that held clothes, clothes that hung low in my closet, shoes, containers that held jewelry, bed frames, box springs, mattresses, couch sets and coffee tables, towels, washer, dryer, refrigerators, etc.  It's been an humbling situation. I feel like my helpless nephew. I know how to go out and purchase those things again, but the frustration of where to begin sets in; knowing that this was years of possessions accumulated, all lost in a few hours of torrential rain.

This helplessness has caused me to cry out to the Lord in faith. Not knowing how to restore 2 lost cars, a lost home, and possessions needed to fill a home. Where do I begin? So many people asking to help, but not knowing how to solicit their support. The overwhelmed pressure to move out of our displaced house (where we've imposed on family for weeks) and into our own space. The constant pull of various claim adjusters and insurance companies calling your phone or loan officers asking to support you. You fluctuate between whether to ignore calls or answer and when you answer, who do you trust? This is the nature of being weak. Knowing you must make informed and confident decisions, but unsure whether you are doing it correctly.

Then as you call out to the One you know as Savior- who has promised that when you call on Him to forgive sins that He will remember them no more and see you as forgiven. But you experience that He doubles as Lord because He has been working behind the scenes of your life- ironing out the details while you sleep at night. He has actually taken the driver seat and taken you for a ride that you had no idea would encompass such breathtaking scenery. I prayed for certain things before I even knew of an approaching storm. Secretly lifted up desires and needs to Him and yet had in mind how He might bring those things about. But never would I have imagined that He planned to answer those very requests, yet without my input on how He'd bring those answers about.


Yes, I desired to buy a house some years down the road, and take care of my mom by moving her in with me. Yes, I wanted a deeper level of faith in what I know He says to be true. Yes, I want people to see Christ in me daily as I serve them in love. But He would see fit to use a devastating storm to level everything I owned and make me trust His way completely with my hands behind my back, unable to participate in His plan.

Now, finding a home to purchase has nothing to do with me, except to look (knock, ask, seek...Matthew 7:7) and my mother's home is gone so she has to stay with me. His way.

Now, I'm in a position to trust He will provide for me everywhere I look. No trust in my finances or income. The deeper level of faith is staring me in the face. His way.

Now, people look at me week to week and see the sincere smile on my face and hear the joy in my voice and wonder how I can feel at peace when I've lost everything. I get to tell them that My God has me taken care of and that I didn't loose my life so I'm grateful. His way.

This is the strength that is found in being weak. I can stand with Paul, today and say...with the outpouring of support that has surrounded me and my family...the tons of gift cards, donations of new beds, refrigerators, washer/dryers, dressers, full living room sets...all given graciously by people who barely know my mother and I- that I am strongest, when I'm weak! For the Lord has encouraged me that He WILL provide for my family. That I don't have to worry about finding a home within my budget that suits our desires and needs, because He's working that out in the same way He had dozens of people think about my family without my knowledge. He placed us on their hearts and prompted them to give. If He does that, how much more will He provide all things we need? Matthew 7:11


No comments:

Post a Comment