Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Grown-Up Temper Tantrums



Ok, so this summer I got my final tattoo. Yes I have more than one and yes, they're all hidden (for the most part). But real T, my tattoos are all symbols of deep convictions I've experienced in my walk with the Lord. This latest is my smallest one and hands-down my favorite. Why? Well let me tell you.

Have you ever seen a kid throw a temper tantrum in the store and wonder "Ooooh lemme see how this parent is gonna handle THAT!" I'm guilty of lingering just to see if that kid is gonna get a whooping from their parent. I know my mom would have yanked my chain RIGHT.THERE.IN.THE.STORE!!!

Well as an adult I've thrown some "Grown-up temper tantrums". What do I mean? I'm the kind of person who likes to plan things and then witness those things go just as I planned them. So when those things do NOT go as planned, I throw an adult version of a temper tantrum.


Am I saying that's okay? By no means. I recognize my flaws and how childish this error is and I'm thankful God has revealed it to me, because I can actively ask Him to mature me in that area and eagerly anticipate the act of renewing that will come as a result! But recently a friend called to my attention my anxiety that I was experiencing when I began to notice that a certain event I'm planning wasn't unfolding as planned.

Her words were, "Kim, don't allow yourself to get frazzled. Things will work out as they should and those who need to be there, will be there. Do your part in excellence and leave the results to God." I can't say this is my first time hearing this type of advice.
I once asked my mom, "Aren't you afraid that your kids would grow up and turn against God?"
Her confident response was, "No, because I did my part, obediently, in raising you all and now I leave the results to God."

I remember being appalled (at first) by her confident response, but then later understanding that it wasn't self-confidence she spoke in, but it was hopeful trust in God.

"But in your hearts set Christ apart as holy [and acknowledge Him] as Lord. Always be ready to give a logical defense to anyone who asks you to account for the hope that is in you..." 1 Peter 3:15


Lately the Lord has been showing me that the same confidence and hope that I utilized when I put my trust in Him to save me from my sins (some 27 years ago) is the same confidence, hope and trust I must utilize daily. This hope and trust I placed in Him to save me from the wages of my sin and eternal separation from Him is able to keep me grounded when I'm facing the struggle of yielding to the desires I have; it's able to assure me when I'm unsure of what decisions to make, and it gives me wisdom when I'm battling whether to ditch situations that He prefers I face.


When you placed your trust in Christ to be the anchor for your soul, you blindly relied on Him to secure your position with God when your life on earth ends. What a colossal leap of faith. That same measure of faith can be applied daily to the menial moment to moment, day to day things that we should be relying on Him for.

"[Now] we have this [hope] as a sure and steadfast anchor of the soul [it cannot slip and it cannot break down under whoever steps out upon it—a hope] that reaches farther and enters into [the very certainty of the Presence] within the veil" ~Heb. 6:19

Needless to say, I'm anticipating that my boat (of emotions) will be rocked less and less and as I grow in this area, I will be moored (anchored) to the sea bottom. I trust the Holy Spirit will remind me of the hope I placed in Christ to be my unbreakable spiritual lifeline and dropping this anchor into my daily situations should keep me at a level of unusual rest even while things around me look awry.


No comments:

Post a Comment