Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Who plays your instrument?

In middle school, I was a part of the orchestra as a student of the cello! I absolutely loved playing that instrument because it was so unique. I enjoyed using the bow as well as plucking songs (like a guitar). It 's voice held that of an alto sound with a range that it made very much resemble my own vocal placement in choir.

What I liked most is that I could understand the instrument in a fashion that made me such a poised player. I frequently won first chair in our weekly competitions and to accompany that I had various UIL medals to showcase as well. My futile attempt to play a wind instrument (like the flute and clarinet) was catastrophic and inevitably what led me away from band and towards the orchestra! I couldn't grasp the method of how to control blowing into the reeds in such a way to produce a melodious tune. Instead, every sound that left the instrument was never a sound at all, it was more like that annoying noise the TV used to make when it "went off" around midnight! LOL


Romans 6:13 reads:
"...you must not give sin a vote in the way you conduct your lives. Don’t give it the time of day. Don’t even run little errands that are connected with that old way of life. Throw yourselves wholeheartedly and full-time—remember, you’ve been raised from the dead!—into God’s way of doing things. Sin can’t tell you how to live. After all, you’re not living under that old tyranny any longer. You’re living in the freedom of God." [MSG]

In other words, when we (who are instruments of God), allow the world (others, our own selfish desires, sin, etc.) to control or steer us, we act as instruments. We let sin blow into us, thus emitting a gut wrenching, unbearable noise that is catastrophic to the ears.



But when we allow God to bow and pluck our instruments (leading and guiding us, telling us how to think, feel and live), we produce melodies that resound in an ensemble of glory to God. This symphony, inevitably draws a crowd who desires to take in such a beautiful sound.

No comments:

Post a Comment