Sunday, March 9, 2014

Accidentally...on Purpose!

My supervisor has this phrase "Accidentally teaching on purpose" and when I first heard it, I must admit it sounded rather foreign to me.

She believes that, in the teaching profession, when you have a thorough curriculum and for the most part, don't deviate from it, you end up meeting the needs of the majority of your students, closing gaps for those students who have modified needs and satisfying the minimum of state requirements. Rather than having to teach the curriculum, research ways to differentiate it, implement enrichment strategies all while trying to speak the language of students with language barriers; a good curriculum will do all of that and the wise educator will cover all those bases by simply doing what the curriculum asks (at the least).

Recently a few friends of mine have shared with me some of their personal internal struggles and coincidentally I've been able to empathize with them as I've found myself having faced similar obstacles in my own spiritual life. The common thread we all shared was our desire to please God in the midst of what we faced. Though the questions that we all faced were "why":

"Why wasn't that person who I wanted them to be?"
"Why am I beginning to realize this isn't what I thought it was?"
"Why can't I be who you want me to be in the midst of this situation?"
"Why is this happening to me?"

...the resolve we all faced was the same. When you seek to please the Lord in your personal life, everything around you seems to fall into place. And by 'fall into place' that doesn't mean "feel good" or "work the way we think it should"...it simply means that whatever happens, happens for our ultimate, eternal good!

Matthew puts it this way, "Seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added..." [6:33]

Its the principal of "accidentally doing something on purpose"! When our desire is simplistically to spend time with the Lord, learn His thoughts and His heart, and please Him, He tends to take over our lives by removing things (and people) that we once thought were necessary or 'good' and replace them with His own agenda! It's a cause and effect reaction...we end up walking with Him 'accidentally, on purpose'!

We walk into our purpose, 'accidentally, on purpose'.
We bring Him glory, 'accidentally, on purpose'.
We affect the lives of others 'accidentally, on purpose'.

The "accident" is in simply seeking Him, praying for His heart. The "on purpose" are the things He ends up working out in us and the glory we bring Him in the process. So many times as Believers, we want to 'get our life right'. Its' not possible...HE gets us right, once we surrender our fight to get right and let Him flex His purpose in our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment