Friday, February 7, 2014

In love...

I can't help but write, I'm living in overflow. And no, I'm not talking about monetary blessing, I'm talking about love.

Yes, this is February and though love is prevalent in every season, it is most celebrated this month. The worship of the secular version of love has almost become pagan-like as stores turn various shades of red almost right after the new year, ladies anticipate expensive gifts and dreamy proposals while men seek to figure out which one of their "special lady friends" they should shower with attention and which ones they should conveniently dump.


It's so commercialized that more often than not, females are left in a comatose state of near depression if no one is knocking on their door with flowers, shoving candy down their mouths, comforting them with large cuddly teddy bears or simply blowing up their phone with gooey love emojiis. It's that bad!

Restaurants are packed on this special night and weekend, playlists are created and played for that special someone, romantic rendezvous are frequented and babies are made...all in the name of "love".

Well, I was shown true love tonight. While at one of the lowest points in my life, some friends (who may have been placed in my life for a season, reason or lifetime) unexpectedly arrived at my house tonight to help me with a quite daunting project that I have been entrusted with. Of their own initiative, they offered their time, energy and resources all while taking my well-being into consideration. Setting their own comforts and lives aside, they expended the last few hours of their hard working day on my behalf.

Earlier today, I was asking God how I could lavish love on someone or just others, this 'holiday season' in honor of Valentine's day. Not loathing in self-pity over the lack of a 'significant other', not hanging out with my closest girlfriends as we laughed over appetizers and talked about our crushes, not even caking with perspective boo's over text. How could I sacrificially offer my time and energy for someone in need. How could I be a conduit of God's love to someone who was on the brink of giving up and throwing in the towel. And before I got my answer, there was a knock at my door, and the precedent was set.


This is Love: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers and sisters....not that we loved God, but that He loved us. (1 John)

I'm grateful for these friends and the way they modeled love. They both exemplified & personified these truths of 1 John- the fact that we don't physically "see" God but when people give of themselves for others, as He gave His Son for us, people ARE ABLE TO, "SEE" God and know what His love is like.

~In love...

No comments:

Post a Comment