Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Spider Man - With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility

At the beginning of this movie, Peter sat in the car with his grandfather who, attempted to hold him accountable for his new life. What this clip doesnt show is how Peter responded...he lashed out, fussing at his grandfather for "not understanding" and stormed out on his rebuke. What you just watched, was a wiser Peter who later realized that what his grandfather was trying to tell him was true, and for his own protection.

I love this quote, "With great power comes great responsibility" because it speaks (in a lot of ways) to our liberty as believers. Over the past few years, as i've come into my "grown-ness" stage, i've freed myself by realizing I have liberties in my life and making sure my life doesn't look too "religious". But my devo reminded me that a false understanding of my liberty leads to a loss of my rights, and eventually results in slavery (unhealthy habits). I can choose to do what I want when I want...but that attitude subtly leads to habits I had no intention of forming.

Our freedom to make choices in our Christian life "is a great privilege. But it carries responsibility, since our actions, words and attitudes have a profound effect..." (In Touch, 2010, pg 7).

Having someone who is willing to "call us out" (as Peter Barker's grandfather did) is a "protection that accompanies this responsibility and motivates us to live a life worthy of our calling. It is a gift (not a curse) the Lord gave us to guard us from the painful consequences of ungodly choices." (Stanley) Being "called out" isn't always a comfy feeling, and may not always come at the most opportune times; but if someone is willing to speak to us-love MUST be a factor. In their minds, there MUST be some motivation to protect us or else they would simply gossip about us and not say a word.

I realized that sometimes (particularly when I feel humiliated by my actions) I have a tendency to either avoid taking responsibility for my actions, by hiding behind an excuse or trying to overshadow my actions with a good deed or mentioning my good intentions. My devo tonight scolded me in this and encouraged me to go back to seeking out relationships where I am willing to answer to someone.

I encourage you...if you tend to hide from, avoid or even blame others when you're being held accountable remember that your Loving Father has graced you with great power (in freely living as you choose) but has attached great responsibility with it and for your protection. Spiderman is a GREAT example of this...and thankfully (though he lashed out as his grandfather for holding him accountable), his Grandfather was bold enough to speak this truth into his life.

~Be Bless "Deep Waters"

No comments:

Post a Comment