Wednesday, February 25, 2015

The danger in teaching

Often times on the news you hear about the shootings that occur in schools and think about how dangerous it is sending your child off to school. Or you might hear about bullying that later led to a child hurting themselves fatally and it might occur to you that children are harsh in public schools. You may even see viral videos (more so in high schools) of teachers getting caught up in fights with students, hurt trying to break up a fight between students or witness a jaw-dropping teacher-student verbal disagreement. All of these cases, unfortunately characterize some of the dangers that lurk in this wonderful profession that many feel called to.

Education.

When I'm standing before a class of students, giving instructions and despite the fact that my class may have an above average management system operating, one very defiant student decides to go against the grain, well I must admit I get a little beside myself. At first, I'm calm...after all, raising my voice and matching anger for anger rarely (typically never) really gets the job done. Quite frankly, you've practically lost the battle because you've fallen right into the trap the student set for you. So, I generally go the silent, deadly route. I get extremely quiet, turn on "THE LOOK" (that I must encourage every educator to invest in) and softly ask a series of questions to bring the temperament of the student down without disrupting the flow of instruction.



If that doesn't work then it's on to phase II (and in most cases it does, but I have worked in some
rough areas, so while Phase I was alarming to the student it wasn't enough to seal the deal). Phase II consists of ignoring the behavior, politely engaging the class in a cooperative group activity while I go stand next to the unruly student and whisper for them to follow me to my headquarters. By this point the class knows it's goodbye "Mrs. Nelson"... And hello "Viola Swamp"!!


Phase III takes place in my headquarters where the student and I, through a variety of questions (and under less embarrassment) get to the meat of the reason they felt the need to step out of bounds. Generally it's nothing more than a lack of social skills and training on how to appropriately respond to something that didn't go the way they wanted. After this brief yet loving conversation, the student
ends up in tears and giving me a hug before returning to their desk and falling right back in line. My quota for writing a student up and/or sending them to the office was quite low because I kept a trust with my student and communication with my parents.

But the danger I see myself facing during phase II and III is often in who walks away changed. It might occur to you that the student has the change of heart and returns in good spirits and that's partly true, but its amazing what the Holy Spirit can do in a chastising moment like that.

Today, I had to remove a young lady from my small group because she came in with a stank attitude. That foul aroma had spread during the course of our small group time and before I allowed her to proceed in biting off the heads of those who were eagerly soaking up our lesson, I gently beckoned her into my chambers. But while digging for the root, (which happened to be something as simple as her unable to get breakfast before school...3hrs prior) I found myself looking at my own filth in a mirror. As I lovingly shared with her that it was understandable that she was hungry and things didn't go as she had planned this morning, I comforted her that I cared and all she had to do was pull me aside and ask for help. That she didn't need to carry an attitude on for the rest of the day and smite everyone in her path. No sooner than those words left my mouth, I was reminded of my own tendency to do the exact same thing (weekly)!

My voice began to crack as I saw tears well up in her eyes and knew mine weren't too far behind. She hugged me and we discussed some breakfast snack options. But inside, the Lord was reminding me that "...His yoke is easy and His burden is light" so rest could be found in Him when I'm willing to trust Him with my days details. The Holy Spirits conviction led to comfort as I realized this little girl wasn't experiencing anything different in the natural than I was in the spiritual.


So see, the danger in teaching others, is often starring your own short-comings face to face. But what's more compelling and life changing than having your own character refined as you teach life lessons to those in your path? There is grave (profound, weighty) danger in teaching because you risk learning a little about yourself and ultimately given the chance to demonstrate, by example, a growing maturity.

No comments:

Post a Comment