Monday, November 24, 2014

James Fortune: Fall from grace or Full of grace?

What do I do with my favorite James Fortune mp3 songs now that I've read about his recent accusations?

http://theb3.net/2014/gospel-artist-radio-host-james-fortune-arrested-charged-assault/


I saw someone say they would never listen to his music again. I have to say for a fraction of a second I agreed with this sentiment. But the Holy Spirit immediately reminded me of two vital factors:

Grace: The world has trained us to use the rising fame of music artist (for example) as a crutch for extending grace. How so? When artists rise to a position of face and status (in the world's eyes...gospel arena included) we tend to figuratively pick them up, and delicately place them on a pedestal to shimmer and shine for us. They become this perfect point of reference when we are in need of solace. In a sense they become our idols. Therefore, we are often hindered from the freedom of walking in grace because judgement (the good kind) is more alive in us. As a result we fail to see that they (like we are) simply allowing the Holy Spirit to work through them when they speak and when they produce music that glorifies God.


We are given seemingly menial tasks such as loving our spouses, praying for our enemies, and taming our tongue. And we possibly feel we are doing just that. But we surely fall short and immediately extend grace to ourselves. Just as quick as we fall short, not a moment later does a justification for our actions coming gushing from our lips, "but she did this; I can't help it, its just how I am; it was the first thing that came out of my mouth." These short comings are of no more hurtful to God as when a gospel artist divorces his spouse or is caught up in domestic abuse.

Truth: When we clearly examine ourselves, we (saints) aren't different in God's eyes? The bible says in Galatians that our sin nature is full of every evil deed (5:19). Meaning the propensity for any sin (little or big in our frail, judgmental eyes) is possible because the desire for it lives (whether much alive or lying dormant) in us. Unchecked and uncontrolled by the Holy Spirit, at any time these desires can (and will) rear their ugly heads. Jeremiah talks about the deceitfulness and depravity of our hearts. It even says we are unaware of just how evil it is (17:9).

The ugly truth is that this same flesh can arise in Pastors and gospel artists alike. We are all responsible (equally) for submitting to the Spirit's leading, keeping accountability around us and being careful of not causing others to stumble. When someone does 'fall' into sin, it is our duty as brothers in the faith to restore them gently (Galatians 6:1), rather than judge them harshly. The warning that comes is not to disown them, but to beware because we are subject to the same temptation!

I'll still jam my James Fortune because I believe when he wrote his songs, he was truly expressing his love and gratitude for what the Lord has done in his life. And I equally feel grateful. But I know I'm not perfect, God is perfecting me and often using my failures (and the grace and forgiveness that accompanies it) to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment