Thursday, April 4, 2013

Heart Patient


 
Ever had someone just piss you off? Not necessarily because they did anything personally to you, but just because of their mannerisms and how they behave. There was someone I had to be around for a long period of time and the more I was around them, the more I found myself struggling to think straight without being completely disgusted and distracted. Everything they did from how they walked to the way they interacted with others was so putrid to me! I couldn’t stand their laziness, lack of work ethic, inability to be assertive and constant nagging and whining.

At one point, I chalked it up to the fact that I was simply better than they were. After all, my personal ethics were together, I took initiative and kept my mouth shut when things didn’t go my way. It was evident I was the better of us two. Or so I thought. One day it hit me. I was the disgusting one. My true heart was exposed as I looked with disdain upon this person. My heart was filled with hatred so clearly I wasn’t as ‘perfect’ as I thought I was. Before I knew it, conviction set in and I was challenged to talk to God about my own sick condition. Daily, I questioned ‘what was wrong with me’?
 
A few weeks later, I heard about a bible study lesson being taught that seemed to ‘hit home’ in the very area I was struggling with. So compelled, I attended and of course I got slapped up, down, side to side and pretty much every which way with the Word. Convicted, but encouraged. I was challenged to examine my own heart, and address the issue in a godly, practical way. Extend mercy, be kind, treat fairly…all things I certainly did not FEEL like doing.

Less than a week later, I was faced with a chance to be alone with this person. Over a forced conversation, I learned some personal things about them and as I listened, my heart felt deep compassion for them. The emotion was real; I can truly say it was not self-induced. It overwhelmed me and I felt myself enter unfamiliar territory. Somehow, I was obliged to encourage them as well as pray for them.

I’m not sure how a surgeon takes a bad heart and exchanges it for a better one, but I know THE HEART SURGEON can take a wicked, filthy heart and somehow infuse it with His forgiveness and tender compassion, making it brand new and cause it to beat for others. I’ve bee a patient under His scapel…

No comments:

Post a Comment